Monday, May 11, 2009

The Gold(en Corral) Standard

"You know what I really like about eating at Golden Corral?" Mike offered as he and I along with Joshua and Rachael indulged in the all-you-can-eat buffet when we were traveling last week. "I love that I'm one of the skinny ones!"



Of course we all burst out laughing, because under any other circumstances none of us sitting at that table would be called "one of the skinny ones." But using the Gold(en Corral) Standard made us feel so much better about ourselves :-) as we went for that second plate of food.










That's exactly the kind of thinking I had during my first few years of being a Christian. I had always been the compliant first-born and labeled a good child because, compared to many (many, many) other children, I was gold. If others were my standard, then I stacked up pretty well.



The problem is, well, actually the great thing is, that others are not my standard. I don't have a Gold Standard to measure up to, but I have a God Standard, and boy do I fall short! When my sin is revealed being held up to the God Standard, God gives me the desire, along with the strength, to deal with it.



Romans 3.22,23 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.



Dear God, how I'm thankful for Your Standard in Your Word and in Christ's example. I'm thankful for all the growth that it has brought in my life. Please reveal anything in my life that does not please you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a first-born myself, I can totally relate. Looking forward to your thoughts on the wedding - and maybe some photos??? Hope it was wonderful!