Friday, August 21, 2009

All-Consuming

My summer has been spent neck-deep in wedding preparations. So many things to look at. So many errands to run. So many decisions to make. The preparations for the Wedding Day were all-consuming!

I awoke most mornings between 5.30 am and 6.00 am without an alarm clock, eyes wide open, mind racing, feet jumping out of bed ready to get started with my day.

Invitations to send out….




Eight bridesmaids dresses to make….





Flowergirl dress....


Tiniest details to attend to…..



Flowers to pick out…..



Menu to plan….



Bride is ready and waiting...



A brain that wouldn’t slow down…..until….

Until I realized that because of my new routine I was glossing over my time with God!

Whoa, Nellie!

False start!

Try again!

I started getting up, still just as early, but went outside for a walk to get a chance to talk with Jesus before I started my day. I came back in, went to my Bible, my message from God and He was faithful to tell me something I needed to hear that day. (The Psalms are great therapy!)

All the hard work for the Wedding Day was worth it! Sarah and Tony were very happy. The day was filled with much joy. Can’t you tell by their faces?



But the process made me think about my preparations for THE Wedding Day, you know, when Jesus comes back for us, His bride. Are the preparations I’m making for that eternal union all-consuming just as they were for the earthly wedding we had just had?



Am I inviting others to join me for that great celebration? Am I encouraging those who are attending the Great Wedding to be “better dressed” for the occasion? Am I checking the details of my heart? Is my mind stayed on Him?


Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:
"Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear."
(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)
(Revelation 19.6-8)






I pray your preparations are all-consuming!


To see all wedding photos, go here.


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! :)

And thank you for the beautiful reminder as well!

Stephanie Byrd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Byrd said...

Amen! Great post--really though provoking!

And of course the wedding was BEAUTIFUL! :-)

Kirk and Michelle Lightfield said...

Outstanding Sylvia!

Amy Carroll said...

Wow, Sylvia! Your daughter looks gorgeous, and the wedding details exquisite. I hope you're developing a message based on that post--I want to come hear it!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Sylvia! Both the writing and the pictures!

Mary Singer Wick said...

What a gorgeous wedding! The flowers are breathtaking, and can't believe you made all those gowns, Sylvia.

Praying the newlyweds have a long and happy life together.

Congratulations to all of you!

Mary

mariel said...

Sylvia,
great comparison. i am glad all went well with the wedding. It looks beautiful!

looking forward to our wedding with the Lamb, Mariel

ADD Minder said...

Sylvia,
Mike just stopped by the office and I conveyed my apologies for not being able to attend the wedding. The bride was beautiful!

Your post is a powerful reminder for me today. Although it has been 34 days since my LAST cigarette, satan is still trying to throw his darts. I've tried and failed so many time before. I took a few minutes to pray and heard God speake to me ..."do not doubt". then I read Matthew 8:26. Thank you for reminding me to not get caught up in my own life and make time for Our Father a priority.

hashbrowns said...

Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Thank you for this post-

Van said...

I often think of THE WEDDING DAY - will I be prepared and excited to meet the BRIDEGROOM or reluctant and guilt ridden for not having prepared properly?